Photo Essay:: Inside Scranton, Pennsylvania

17 Apr

On Wednesday, I accompanied my friend, Shari, on a trip to her hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania.  Scranton is not only the hometown of Vice President Joe Biden (until he moved to Delaware at the age of 10) but also the location of the fictional paper company Dunder Mifflin from “The Office.”  A historic town, Scranton is full of fabulous old architecture, including its public library, which beckoned to be photographed, despite the rainy conditions outside.

The Scranton Public Library is full of these wonderful stained glass windows. I think they would be prettier if the sun had been shining.

The window ledges also make excellent additional bookshelves.

Old school window crank.

I want to LIVE in this library.  At least I’d finally have room for all my books.

Microfilm will burn your retinas out.

Two of these stone lions guard the entrance to the Scranton Public Library.  The lions come alive at night and hunt down patrons who don’t return their library books on time.

Why does the Scranton Public Library have an “A” in the middle of its iron gate?  I don’t know. (A = Amy)

Scranton is also known for its fine “monuments.”  Sadly, this is not one of those monuments.  In fact, I’m not quite sure what statement this is supposed to make. (I know, I know, it’s just waiting to be unveiled.)

So, there you have it, a little bit of Scranton!  See, Justin, you told me to take pictures of Scranton, and I told you I probably wouldn’t.  Well, I did, so, ha! I showed you.    I know these aren’t the greatest pictures I’ve ever taken, but it’s been a while since I photographed anything.  Amy’s gotta get her groove back.

So, what do you think?  Have you been to Scranton?  Do you want to go?  Do you think the stone lions really attack people at night?

7 Responses to “Photo Essay:: Inside Scranton, Pennsylvania”

1. Rufus' Food and Spirit Guide April 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM #

Very cool! That library looks like it’s full of all sorts of fun nooks and crannies.

2. ShariCakes April 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM #

Scranton is super awesome. It has wonderful historic buildings and homes. The library is really cool too cozy nooks and crannies.

3. InsightfulMinds April 15, 2011 at 12:10 AM #

I never knew there was that much to see in Scranton. I’m not all that far from it, but don’t have any desire to go visit. Central PA has some nice places to visit.

4. jjiraffe April 15, 2011 at 1:11 AM #

Whenever I hear the word Scranton, the theme song from “The Office” immediately jumps into my head. Too bad they don’t film on location…that library could be a great place to film a scene where Dwight tries to look up some incriminating information on someone.

5. Charlie's Church of Christ April 15, 2011 at 2:43 AM #

I grew up in Pennsylvania and unfortunately I don’t hold it in high esteem.

6. melissasmeanderings April 15, 2011 at 10:06 AM #

I love those stained glass windows!! Thanks for sharing!

7. Donna April 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM #

Actually, the lions do not attack people at all. However, the packs of gazelles that cavort in the streets at night, a threat to the citizens of Scranton, are being hunted by those proud lions after sunset. Be thankful for those lions for they offer protection from those vicious gazelles.