Overlooked, er, Make that Under-Looked Album Cover Art

26 Feb

I know I said we weren’t going to do any more silly posts here on Backseat Writer, but it’s Friday and I’m feeling a little giddy.  Plus, how else could I get a picture of my talking gnome (whose name is now Mr. Lovewell) onto Backseat Writer?  A few weeks ago, the gals at The Media Collective sent out “All of Creation,” the first single from MercyMe’s new album, slated for release in May.  The song, itself, is great, but look at that album cover! It’s great!

With digital downloads being all the rage, I miss the nice feel of a CD booklet.  Most of all, I enjoy studying the album art.  The more I like a band or artist, the more interested I am in analyzing album art.  Since I’m an artsy girl, I decided to share a few of my favorite album covers::

Flying by Grammatrain

Transatlanticism by Death Cab For Cutie

Much Afraid by Jars of Clay

Pages by Shane & Shane

Mockingbird by Derek Webb

Limbs and Branches by Jon Foreman

Wicked (2003 Original Broadway Cast)

Red Revolution by Shaded Red

Hello Hurricane by Switchfoot

MMHMM by Relient K

The End is Here by Five Iron Frenzy

Songs by Rich Mullins

Which of my choices do you like?  What albums did I leave out?  Please share your favorite album covers!

No Responses to “Overlooked, er, Make that Under-Looked Album Cover Art”

1. MissMary February 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM #

Charlie Hall–Flying into Daybreak
    Future of Forestry–Travel Vol. 2

2. Gracie Bea Winterton February 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM #

You’re right about the MercyMe cover. It’s great, and that’s coming from me, the most critical album-cover judge ever.

A few of my additions:
    Relient K – Mmhmm
    Five Iron Frenzy – Quantity is Job 1
    Newsboys – Take Me To Your Leader

3. Amy February 26, 2010 at 2:22 PM #

@MissMary Ooo, those are good choices. I like Charlie Hall’s “Sadness” one, too.

@Gracie I can’t believe I left out Relient K & Five Iron Frenzy. I’m ammending that right now!

4. Robin D. February 26, 2010 at 2:31 PM #

My FAV of your choices is Switchfoot’s “Hello Hurricane”! I own the album, and it’s REALLY GOOD, but what AWES me most is the COVER ART…I mean, to some, it may look like just a bunch of sea gulls in flight…but what most people probably don’t realize is just how hard it probably was for the photographer to get each of those birds to POSE just the way he or she wanted them to! I mean, you have animals, and you do photography too, so I’m certain you will agree with me on this one, Amy! Can you just IMAGINE trying to get all those birds to COOPERATE for a photo shoot??? ALL AT THE SAME TIME??? 😉

5. Lori Lenz February 26, 2010 at 3:17 PM #

my favorite by far is the Tool album that had the 3D glasses built in. (10,000 Days i think is what it’s called) from what i can tell, it was impossible for them to actually make a decent profit on album sales just off the cost of packaging…

but i’ve never bought a Tool CD before, and probably never will again – i’ve never listened to the disc, but i did pay $12 to get the CD!

6. Brody February 26, 2010 at 3:52 PM #

Man, that MercyMe one is fantastic…

7. Tamara Comerford February 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM #

Those are all fantastic! I think that album art is really overlooked as an art form. Sadly, I think most forms of illustration are – like book covers and the like.

One of my favorite covers is This Desert Life by Counting Crows. It’s very Magritte-like. Oingo Boingo always had great covers, too. It’s a great form of art and I’m not too proud to say that I tend to like musical artists more if they have cool cover art! Heh Heh! 🙂

Please go check out my newest blog post I did about the OWOH giveaway. I have the amazing goodies I got from you on there! Hugs, Tamara

And PS: I’ll send you some links to online art groups that are cool to check out. I’ve just been distracted with other things the last few weeks and my brain is too small to figure it all out at the same time. Snicker. 🙂

8. Amy February 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM #

@Lori You always like the coolest stuff around. 🙂

@Brody You make me smile. 🙂

@Tamara So, so happy you liked everything. I’ve been meaning to add your site to my RSS feed. 🙂