Photo Essay:: The Tree

29 Apr

I was out with my Big Girl’s camera (that’s the Canon DSLR) looking for images of springtime (or birds of prey).  In my travels I came upon this breathtaking tree–I have no idea what it is–but it looks like a weeping willow with white flowers.  I’ve read that weeping willows have yellow buds.  Anyway, I saw this tree from the road and had to get a closer look::

I began snapping pictures of branches, flowers, roots, bark furiously.  I stood underneath what can only be described as the umbrella canopy of the tree and looked up.  The sun shone through a net of lacy flowers as branches provided a dark and intricate web of design.  I felt as though I was in a sanctuary–one that rivals Notre Dame–and I praised God for His creation.  And I took a ton of pictures.

Note:: Faith from Japan has identified this tree as a weeping sakura, which is a Japanese cherry tree.  Benny also identified the “weeping cherry” tree.  Thanks!

I am continually amazed by how many pictures I can take of a single object from various angles and using different manual camera settings.  A tree itself has intricate details, all of which need to be observed, appreciated, savored.  I love that I can use a lens to capture a bit of that magic to share with others.  The following are all pictures of the yet-to-be-identified tree from various focal points.

No Responses to “Photo Essay:: The Tree”

1. Faith April 29, 2009 at 6:41 AM #

This is a weeping sakura or cherry tree. I live in Japan and the cherry blossom season has just passed in Tokyo. These are truly, truly lovely. Thanks for the photos

2. BennyD April 29, 2009 at 7:54 AM #

Looks like a weeping cherry – possibly a ‘Yoshino’….but I could be wrong…

• Amy April 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM #

Thank you, Faith and Benny!

The cherry blossom season just passed in our nation’s capital, too. 🙂

3. Mel April 29, 2009 at 8:42 AM #

Amazing pics Amy!

4. MOM April 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM #

GREAT PICTURES, AMY!!! THEY ARE SO VERY BEAUTIFUL FROM ANY ANGLE.
    THE FUNNY THING ABOUT THIS POST IS THAT WHEN I WAS GROWING UP IN ALLENTOWN AT YOUR GRANDPARENTS’ HOME, THERE WERE 2 VERY BEAUTIFUL WEEPING CHERRY TREES ON EACH SIDE OF THE FRONT WALK UP TO THE FRONT DOOR. EACH SPRING WE WERE AMAZED AT THE BEAUTIFUL BLOSSOMS AND, IN FACT, HAVE OLD PHOTOS OF THEM I WILL SHOW YOU. ALAS, POPPY HAD TO CUT DOWN THE TREES BECAUSE THEY BECAME INFECTED WITH SOMETHING THAT ATTACKS THE VERY INSIDE OF THE TREE AND ROTS IT FROM THE INSIDE OUT. INTERESTING, ISN’T IT. SO BEAUTIFUL, YET ROTTING ON THE INSIDE. SO AMY, YOU NEVER KNEW THOSE BEAUTIFUL TREES ON YOUR GRANDPARENTS LAWN – NOW EACH TIME YOU SEE ONE, THINK OF GRAMMY AND POPPY SAYING “HELLO.”

5. Kim April 30, 2009 at 11:49 AM #