Wii Be Fat

19 May

This is actually the Japanese Wii Fit box.  I’m pretty sure i couldn’t stand on one leg with my arms in the air.

Wii Fit which debuts May 19 in the U.S. was released last month in Europe (is it me or do they get everything first?) and apparently the game told an active 10 year-old girl that she was “fat” using the highly accurate body mass index (BMI). The BMI conversions don’t accurately measure the fitness of children.

Watch an exciting video about Wii Fit…

Naturally, the girl and her parents were upset that Wii Fit called the little girl “fat” and have caused an uproar (full story). Seeing the error of their ways, Nintendo has apologized to the family. Here’s a quote from the article about Tam Fry of the National Obesity Forum, “Fry, however, thinks the measurement is misleading and he’d like to see children banned from playing the game.”

OK, the measurements are wacky so kids should be banned from playing the game entirely? Huh? Aren’t we going a little overboard here? Tell the kids that the system is messed up and let them play on Wii Fit. I’ve heard people say, “Kids get fat and lazy from sitting around and playing too many video games.” Now there’s actually a game system that allows people to be actively amuse and a game is being banned for telling a girl she’s fat? Am I missing something?

Although, I am not encouraged to work out when I enter my height and weight into the BMI. It seems too impossible to get into that “perfect” range. Sometimes I just want to give up and go out for ice cream. Or I feel too fat to go to the gym or the pool…TO LOSE WEIGHT! How can one be too fat to lose weight? Yeah, we women struggle with our weight issues in interesting ways. I’d probably feel the same way if I had Wii Fit. As if everyone else in the world doesn’t tell me I’m fat, now my fitness video game is doing the same. Yeah, time to raid the fridge.

Whether Wii Fit or those pesky numbers on the scale or the image in our minds, how we perceive ourselves and how others perceive us is only part of the bigger picture–there’s the way that God sees us. God created in us a beauty we can never understand, and though sin has ravaged our bodies and distorted our ideas of self, we remain in His image. It is so hard to accept who we are in Christ and the truth of what God calls us–beloved. This is an area in which I struggle in my own life and am working on constantly. The truth is so much harder to believe than the lies, whether in our heads or the BMI on Wii Fit.

No Responses to “Wii Be Fat”

1. mike golch May 19, 2008 at 4:21 PM #

I would have likrd to see this video,But I got the same sorry thing from you tube. “sorry video is no longer avaible.”

2. mike golch May 19, 2008 at 4:21 PM #

3. alyssa May 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM #

I was intrigued by this product. However, it seems cost prohibitive!! Why is it that all the good for you stuff seems to cost so much money? Inquiring minds want to know! :-Þ

4. alyssa May 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM #

5. Amy May 19, 2008 at 4:58 PM #

I know, we can finally get a great work-out and play a video game at the the same time…and it’s too expensive.

6. Amy May 19, 2008 at 4:58 PM #

7. Steven May 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM #

The wii fit sounds pretty interesting. Good way for the kids to get some excercise and me too for that matter. Obivously its still a video game and people shouldn’t take it too seriously.

8. Steven May 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM #

9. McBloggenstein May 20, 2008 at 2:36 PM #

That was a funny story about the girl. It doesn’t say “fat” though, it says “overweight”. They just used international standardized ways of determining BMI. Probably just for a lack of a better way to measure any type of person that would use the ‘Fit’.

10. McBloggenstein May 20, 2008 at 2:36 PM #

11. Amy May 20, 2008 at 3:14 PM #

I wanted to add this–I was visiting a nursing home with the greyhound rescue group a few weeks ago, and the old people were playing a Wii Bowling game. I thought that was cool. It helps keep lots of people active. 🙂

12. Amy May 20, 2008 at 3:14 PM #