Philip Yancey’s Healing Pen

29 Apr

My favorite writer in all the world is Philip Yancey…and if you check my MySpace, he’s one of the two people I most want to meet. But really, he’s the person I most want to meet. Why? Because Yancey’s writing has profoundly affected my life, my thoughts, and my writing. The Jesus I Never Knew is still one of my favorite books (it could possibly be my favorite, but I don’t want all my other favorite books to feel left out!) Before his determined analysis of Jesus in character, culture, and humanity, I never could fathom Jesus as “real”. True, I believed the Bible, but I never felt deeply one way or the other.

Through his other books Disappointment with God, Reaching for the Invisible God, Church: Why Bother?, and others, I found someone who shared my doubts. Yancey put things in a way that related to me, that allowed my mind to consider new possibilities. So it was with great pleasure I read Christianity Today’s online article about Philip Yancey, who is editor-at-large and a regular columnist for the magazine. The article, written by long-time friend Tim Stafford, talks about Yancey’s history, passion, and his “healing pen”. It made me want to spend the rest of the day reading all the Philip Yancey books I own!

Check out “The Healing Pen” a biographical piece on Philip Yancey and how he uses words to heal himself and others (like me).

No Responses to “Philip Yancey’s Healing Pen”

1. dpcpastor April 29, 2008 at 8:49 PM #

Yancey’s “What’s so AMazing ABout Grace” is my number one all time favorite book. I put it on my “Great Books” page. I met him two years ago when he spoke at the annual meeting of the EPC. Here is a link to where I speak about the book., Let me know what you think:

Blessings,
    Darian

2. dpcpastor April 29, 2008 at 8:49 PM #

Blessings,
    Darian

3. Amy April 29, 2008 at 2:03 PM #

That’s not fair! You can’t go around meeting Philip Yancey without me. Actually my friend, Derek, met Philip Yancey at a youth convention and got me a personally autographed book. Very cool of him!

4. Amy April 29, 2008 at 2:03 PM #

5. pistolpete April 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM #

Yancey’s does some tremendous work. I often look to him for encouragement.

6. pistolpete April 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM #

Yancey’s does some tremendous work. I often look to him for encouragement.

7. Gman May 2, 2008 at 11:59 AM #

I always thought you wanted to meet me!!! LOL.

8. Gman May 2, 2008 at 11:59 AM #

I always thought you wanted to meet me!!! LOL.

9. Amy May 2, 2008 at 12:33 PM #

Oh, yeah…I mean, Philip Yancey’s the second person I want to meet…Gman is the first 🙂

10. Amy May 2, 2008 at 12:33 PM #