Split Second Decisions Show True Character

31 Mar

This is the face of Navy SEAL Michael A. Monsoor, who died saving his comrades from a grenade while on patrol in Ramadi (full story). Monsoor is receiving a Medal of Honor posthumously for his vailiant efforts in giving his life so that others may life. His family will accept the medal in a ceremony on April 8 at the White House.

A good-looking guy, Monsoor could have done a lot of things with his life. In fact, at the critical moment in which the grenade hit his chest, Monsoor had a few options but he chose to throw himself on the weapon, absorbing much of the grenade’s impact. He “took a bullet” for his brothers, so to speak.

I hear people say 20 somethings are self-absorbed and apathetic. Clearly, they have never met Michael Monsoor, and sadly, they never will. But his story, I believe, is one that needs to be told. In an age where everyone cares what everyone else thinks and minor offenses cut to the heart, we can be pretty self-absorbed, but it’s not a disease that infests one age group, but all. Yet how many of us are willing to fall on a grenade for a friend or fellow soldier?

I wish without a shadow of a doubt I could say that I would use my body as a barrier to shield someone else’s. Being a Navy SEAL, I suppose Monsoor would have had a bit more confidence. Yet until that moment when the grenade hit his chest, his words were merely words. Then with a tuck and roll, Monsoor’s words echoed hauntingly true–he would give his life for his brothers.

If we only applaud Monsoor’s efforts and say to ourselves, “What a fine young man!”, then we are missing the point of Monsoor’s actions entirely. I doubt Monsoor had time to think about posthumous accolades in the split second he hung between life and death. He merely did what he thought was right acting out of his character and his heart. The point is this–do you have the courage to dive on that grenade to protect the reputation of a friend or to stand up for what is right even though it may be social suicide? While we may not all be on patrol in Ramadi or Afghanistan, there are grenades on which we are called to jump. Though not deadly, they are still painful, heart-breaking, and damaging. What will you choose when the grenade is lobbed in your direction?

No Responses to “Split Second Decisions Show True Character”

1. michaelgolch April 1, 2008 at 2:49 AM #

Michael A.Monsoor has followed in a long line of b men giveing their lives to save their commrads.this was done during the different wars we have been in,starting with the Revolutionary war. If push come to shove and if I was in the same situation I hope that I would of had the fortitude to sacrafice my life to save others.

2. michaelgolch April 1, 2008 at 2:49 AM #

3. JASON LOPEZ April 9, 2008 at 5:01 AM #

I KNOW THAT 90 PERCENT OF TWENTY SOMETHING AMERICANS WOULD HAVE RUN AND HID FROM THIS GRENADE,BUT THEN AGAIN 90 PERCENT OF AMERICANS CANT BE NAVY SEALS. MONSOOR IS A RARE MAN. A TRUE AMERICAN. ONE WHO WOULD GIVE HIS LIFE FOR THE LIFE OF OTHERS. I CANT SAY FOR SURE THAT I WOULD DO THE SAME THING BUT I HOPE AND PRAY THAT MORE OF THESE BRAVE HEROS EXIST IN AMERICA BECAUSE ON DAY WE WILL NEED THEM. HIS PARENTS SHOULD BE PROUD MUCH MORE THAN ANY PARENT SHOULD THEY CREATED A TRUE HERO AND NO REALITY STAR OR MOVIE STAR COULD EVER COMPARE TO HIM.

4. JASON LOPEZ April 9, 2008 at 5:01 AM #

5. Amy April 9, 2008 at 5:51 AM #

I think it’s also important to note that there are a lot of men and women who may not have given their lives for their comrades, but they have given an arm or a leg, the ability to walk again, facial deformities. Our wounded men and women, some of which are severely disabled, all deserve medals of honor. I could not imagine living life as a double amputee.

They are all true heroes.

6. Amy April 9, 2008 at 5:51 AM #

They are all true heroes.

7. alntv April 9, 2008 at 6:50 PM #

This is, by far, the greatest story of human courage and sacrifice that I have heard in quite some time. He made the ultimate sacrifice. I know I will never forget his story.