Anyone want to adopt 800 puppies?

14 Mar

AP

This is the most space these guys have had to themselves in years!

ATTENTION READERS:  I AM NOT GIVING AWAY THESE DOGS.  YOU CAN GO TO THIS LINK FOR THE HUMANE SOCIETY OF ARIZONA TO GET MORE INFORMATION ON PUPPY ADOPTION.  I ONLY COMMENT ON THE NEWS.  GO TO THE LINK…GET A DOG…OR GO TO PETFINDER.

I love dogs…a lot. Given how much I talk about my two pups, I’m sure you’ve gathered that (heck, I call them my “little girls”). But, even I, who thinks more the merrier when it comes to pets am flabbergasted at this story–an elderly couple kept 800 dogs and 82 parrots in their triple wide trailer home. The 82 parrots is bad enough–I mean, my cockatiel is a pretty messy eater. I can only imagine her and 81 others.

My dynamic duo, Maddy on the left and Cassie on the right.

Then there’s Maddy, my one year-old shih tzu, who though adorable, likes to do things like steal underwear and socks for attention. Imagine her having 799 comrades to join her in these hijinks. Cassie, who turns 9 on March 24 (the day after my 28th birthday–yes, my birthday is on Easter!), would hate us if we made her put up with any more dogs in this apartment. Maddy’s enough for her. She barely tolerates my mom’s two hyper-active pooches. Last Saturday, I took Cassie and Maddy to my mom’s house for a visit. At one point, my mom’s two dogs and my dogs were all sitting on my lap–that was ridiculous. The scene becomes one of horror when I think of adding 796 more dogs to that equation.

Cesar and his pack…looks like he’s holding one of those rescued dogs.

Like me, I am sure you have questions including, how do you fit that many dogs anywhere, but especially in a triple wide trailer? How much does it cost to feed all those animals? What’s it like to take 800 dogs for a group walk? And how do you remember all their names? I know that dog behaviorist Cesar “Dog Whisperer” Milan has a lot of dogs in his “pack”, but even Cesar would consider this situation out of control. Instead of calling in the Dog Whisperer, county authorities were called in to deal with the situation.

Among the ginormous canine pack were chihuahuas (at least they’re small, you could fit a couple dozen of ’em in a duffel bag), pomeranians, terriers, and lhasa apsos, and Chinese cresteds. As you can see from the above AP photo, the dogs are a good-looking bunch, unfortunately according to the AP article, some dogs were missing paws from being attacked by other animals or getting their feet caught in the fencing outside (read full article). Apparently, the eldery owners of the dogs were breeders, but developed a habit of hoarding, unable to part with their puppies.

The good news is that the dogs have been rescued and will be up for adoption shortly. The bad news is that the pack will have to be separated because no one seems willing to adopt 800 dogs altogether. No word on what is to become of the parrots.

AP

Look at those cuties…Sarah, can we adopt one? Just kidding.

No Responses to “Anyone want to adopt 800 puppies?”

1. Karissa March 15, 2008 at 8:30 PM #

I would really like to adopt a Chihuahua. Please contact me with information.

2. atypicalgirl March 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM #

Karissa, you can go to this website (http://www.hssaz.org) for more information on adopting one of these 800 little beauties. Fortunately, hundreds of people have come forward to offer these cuties a home.

If you are nowhere near Tuscon, AZ, you can call rescue groups, look for chihuahuas on PetFinder.com (they usually have a few), or find a reputable breeder in your area. However, DO NOT buy a pet store puppy–they most likely have come from a puppy mill. Also, always ask to meet the parents when you adopt a puppy (sometimes you can only meet momma dog because she was studded by a male dog).

Whatever you decide, have fun finding your friend and please, please, please send me a photo of your new pet and I’ll put it on the website.

3. Jerome March 15, 2008 at 11:40 PM #

I want to fly out and rescue two Rat Terrier puppies. I checked the site and pictures weren’t up yet. Please alert me when they are.
    Thanks.

4. atypicalgirl March 15, 2008 at 11:45 PM #

Jerome, you’ll have to check out the website yourself; I’m sure you can contact people at the above organization for more information. I’m really not “in the know” with the whole thing.

5. Fatima March 16, 2008 at 4:13 AM #

Will there be any adoptions in the the northbay of California. I am intrested in a toy puppy. Please forward any information or website I can search.
    Thanks

6. Fatima March 16, 2008 at 4:13 AM #

Thanks

7. tracy March 17, 2008 at 7:14 AM #

Wow, that poor couple. i hope they are allowed to keep a couple of their pets. of course the pets needed rescuing but, still … that poor couple.

8. tracy March 17, 2008 at 7:14 AM #