Does Marines Abuse of Puppy Indicate More?

4 Mar

I grew up around a lot of animals–turtles, hamsters, dogs, snakes, elephants, lions, and walruses to name a few (OK, I made up the elephants, lions, and walruses). Whether a squirrel in the park or the cat in our house (that won’t stay off the counter), animals are a part of our everyday lives. Many people like animals, some people love them, and there are a few individuals who abuse them…greatly.

Animal abuse is a strict violation of one of the first commands God gave to man in Genesis–take care of the earth. You can eat plants and animals, but don’t abuse the earth. Obviously, with our world in a state of environmental crisis, we haven’t been good stewards of the planet. Furthermore, humans flagrantly violate this rule when they mistreat animals.

All this came to mind today, when I read about a YouTube video showing a couple of Marines (or men dressed as Marines) abusing a puppy. The Fox News article said that the public outcry has been great and so far the video’s had 135,000 hits (full story). It’s been removed from YouTube due to its TOS violation, but it’s popped up other places online.

I refuse to watch the video because I know that it would upset me greatly. According to the aforementioned article, the two men find a stray black and white puppy and throw it off a cliff. There are more details, but you can read the article or watch the video if you’re interested.

I find this disturbing for a number of reasons…

1. Animal abuse is sick. Seriously, animals are so sweet and loyal (for the most part). The poor puppy,  especially if it was an abandoned stray, was probably starving and looking for food. It foolishly thought that these two men could help. Sick, sick, sick.

2. People who abuse animals go on to abuse people. Every time I’ve heard about a serial killers, it was also mentioned that the wacko tortured animals as a kid. I haven’t heard a case of child abuse where the pets weren’t also abused. Violent people abuse anything in their paths, whether they be puppies or babies.

3. Are members of the military prone to violence? I know we are supposed to swell with pride whenever our military is mentioned, and I support the troops. Yet I wonder as we turn regular men and women into killing machines if we’re not destroying part of what makes them human. Really, they go into battle destroying the “enemy”, which is composed of people on the other side trained to do the same.

After dropping bombs, shooting others, being attacked while on patrol, how can we expect these men and women to be normal? Sure, they may seem fine on the outside, but they are desensitized to things that horrify us because it’s part of the job. Perhaps these two men saw a couple of comrades gunned down by a sniper or came face-to-face with the enemy who was just like a man like them, not a demon. Who knows if they were really Marines? Who knows if they saw combat? Who knows their stories?

But when you think about it, when you’re “trained to kill” or do whatever is necessary to protect your unit, abusing a little puppy doesn’t seem that out of line, does it? Not when you’ve shot to death dozens of others.

No Responses to “Does Marines Abuse of Puppy Indicate More?”

1. Be fair March 4, 2008 at 7:37 PM #

Your thought process is fine — other than it’s completely incorrect, and blowing one isolated incident out of proportion. Marines, just like any other group of people, come in all stripes. A few stories to ponder:

2. Be fair March 4, 2008 at 7:37 PM #

3. atypicalgirl March 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM #

I know that all Marines (or members of the military for that matter) don’t kill people, puppies, and so on–but you don’t think that those who do aren’t damaged by it? Or that being trained to kill leaves some sort of emotional and/or psychological marks on humans?

4. atypicalgirl March 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM #

5. mike golch March 4, 2008 at 9:41 PM #

focusing on one incidenr and saying that aal of our serviece people are the same is not only unfair,but down right disrespectful.for all you know the picture was staged by anti-war protesters to discredit the military and turn this country into total caios.

6. mike golch March 4, 2008 at 9:41 PM #

7. atypicalgirl March 4, 2008 at 9:45 PM #

* I did not say that all of our military people are the same.

*I also said that the people in the pictures could have been dressed as Marines, not actual Marines.

*Then I said that perhaps training people to kill is damaging to the people emotionally.

How is that unfair or disrespectful?

I think it is very fair and respectful to question our military practices as well as ask that our soldiers are considering mentally and emotionally, not just physically.

8. atypicalgirl March 4, 2008 at 9:45 PM #

* I did not say that all of our military people are the same.

How is that unfair or disrespectful?

9. chris wilson March 5, 2008 at 9:49 PM #

Using one member of my family as the example (my uncle was Air Force Intelligance in Nam and died of Agent Orange exposure years later) I can say your suggestion that it leaves a perminant mark on their pshyci (SP) is correct, but the blade cuts both ways. Some warriors come home and are so turned off of killing that they become vegitarians to distance themselves from any kind of death, others are so numbed to it that they dont see it as disturbing anymore. Yet others, most I would say, spend the rest of their lives in a hightened sense of fear, not aggression. My uncle would watch in store windows and car mirrors for people following him and the like, and up til the day he died, loud noises like fireworks or such would send him under a table or behind a sofa in a flash. Just my opinion, but most veterans, and I have worked with many because of my previous employer (GE Aircraft Engines) are very non violent, they are turned off by it because of what they have seen and done, not the opposite. Just an opinion Amy.

10. chris wilson March 5, 2008 at 9:49 PM #

11. Jeff Smythe March 7, 2008 at 11:03 PM #

I have two dogs of my own, plus two cats, and a squirrel named “Buck!” I served honorably overseas and never disgraced either myself or my Country in such a disgusting and dishonorable fashion! THESE BASTARDS SHOULD FRY FOR THIS! Publicizing these ASSHOLES is good first step! I stand shoulder-to-shoulder with all you folks in response to this mindless killing of a sentient, innocent, and loving puppy. GOD HELP US IF THIS IS THE IMAGE OUR FORCES ARE PROVIDING THE IRAQI PEOPLE OF AMERICANS!

12. Jeff Smythe March 7, 2008 at 11:03 PM #

13. atypicalgirl March 7, 2008 at 11:50 PM #

Jeff, thank you for your service to our country. Please know that I support and honor you and your comrades. 🙂

14. atypicalgirl March 7, 2008 at 11:50 PM #

15. Trudi Topham March 9, 2008 at 9:21 PM #

I’d say there’s a difference between learning, logically, how to kill a man, and putting it into practice. Time and again human beings have entered wars and done their damndest not to kill the enemy, but to send him home with a bullet in the leg or a broken arm.

It’s wholly counterintuitive to actually set out to kill another human being. It’s not counterintuitive to kill animals. For survival, killing non-humans is “okay” to us, as we eat them, whereas killing humans endangers us as a species.

To abuse and torture anything, though, is disgusting. Utterly repugnant. There is no excuse, none, for such behaviour.

Alas the law also believes animals are less deserving of rights than we are, so most animal-abusers get a slapped wrist, a bit of a fine, and told never to do it again, when what they need is psychological assistance and, perhaps, a good kicking.

16. Trudi Topham March 9, 2008 at 9:21 PM #