There’s a Teenage Girl in There Somewhere

7 Feb

Tigerbeat Magazine

Due to overwhelming demands from Hannah Montana fans, Hannah Montana and the Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert movie has been extended another week. Now teary-eyed girls who couldn’t get tix have another chance, at least for this week. Columnist Stephen Beck finds the whole thing a bit suspicious writing, “By threatening to only play the movie a week, Disney played on one of the most basic human emotions – a parent’s desire to provide their kids with happiness. How many parents, consciously or not, said to themselves, ‘I already let my child down once by not getting them concert tickets, so I had better get those movie tickets this week before they sell out'” (full column).

Not only is Miley’s real name not Hannah Montana; it’s not even Miley! In fact, Miley’s birth name is “Destiny Hope Cyrus”. According to the Chicago Tribune, her daddy gave her the nickname because she was a rather “smiley” little girl. Now she’s not even Miley Cyrus anymore–Miley has recently changed her name to Miley Ray Cyrus to honor her papa, Billy Ray Cyrus (story). No word yet on whether or not Miley plans to grow a commemorative mullet, too.

Miley’s name change, some believe, is a way for Miley to break away from her role as “Hannah Montana” and forge her own identity as a musician. Not only that, Forbes.com columnist Steve McGookin writes an eerily interesting forecast of what may lie in store for the “Hannah Montana” franchise (read “Miley’s Musical Millions”, thanks to YPulse for the original link to the column).

Only 15, Miley’s life seems as golden as Hannah’s and yet I wonder–when does Destiny Hope AKA Miley AKA Hannah Montana AKA Miley Ray get a chance to settle down and just be a kid? Underneath the big blond wig, under the make-up, and the sparkly clothes, away from the bright lights of a T.V. set or a concert hall, she’s a fifteen year-old girl, who probably stares critically at her face in the mirror (even though thousands of people will say that she is beautiful), wonders if she will ever get married, and hopes to get her driver’s license (even though she has “people” to drive her around). On-screen and off, I’m wondering if Miley Ray Cyrus really has the worst, not the best, of both worlds.

No Responses to “There’s a Teenage Girl in There Somewhere”

1. Sally Cook February 7, 2008 at 11:30 PM #

I find it interesting that in your own promo [side bar at the left] you tell all of us that you are a “Christ follower”.

I wonder, would Christ be so “unchristian” in his view of the Miley/Hannah situation?

Or would He be gracious enough to see things from both sides?

Sally [Brisbane, Australia]

2. Sally Cook February 7, 2008 at 11:30 PM #

Or would He be gracious enough to see things from both sides?

Sally [Brisbane, Australia]

3. atypicalgirl February 7, 2008 at 11:33 PM #

I’m not sure what you’re talking about–what did I say about Miley/Hannah that was so offensive to being a Christ follower?

4. atypicalgirl February 7, 2008 at 11:33 PM #

5. laura cesari February 9, 2008 at 1:34 AM #

I’d like the idea of a commemorative mullet!

I bet it is strange to be so heavily merchandised: I almost bought a “Hannah Montana” school-folder the other day because it was a nice color, but then on second thought it seemed exploitative and I wasn’t sure what type of message she represents… (as a non-TV-watcher, I was unaware that Hannah Montana was a fictional character… !)

I was inspired to research the phenomenon and found the whole thing to be rife with identity-crisis: i saw this on wikipedia (granted, it’s wikipedia, so not totally cite-able, but even as lore, the identity crisis is all over the place! — So, the fictional character, who plays a fictional character in the show, is named the same real name as the actress…? I’d get confused!)

“Zoe Stewart was later changed to Chloe Stewart, which was eventually changed to Miley when she got the part. The names of Hannah Montana were changed a few times. Three of the previous names were Anna Cabana, Samantha York, and Alexis Texas.”

I’m really glad they didn’t call her Alexis Texas…

6. laura cesari February 9, 2008 at 1:34 AM #

I’d like the idea of a commemorative mullet!

I’m really glad they didn’t call her Alexis Texas…

7. atypicalgirl February 9, 2008 at 2:54 AM #

Laura, who know you were a good writer, too?

Anyone else who reads these comments–CHECK OUT LAURA’S ARTWORK! It is absolutely gorgeous…and mostly digital, but always unique.

Oh, and tell her to guest blog here. 🙂

8. atypicalgirl February 9, 2008 at 2:54 AM #

Laura, who know you were a good writer, too?

Oh, and tell her to guest blog here. 🙂

9. Sam February 18, 2008 at 5:20 AM #

She has opportunities, which is more than a lot of people can say. I bet if she wants to get her learner’s permit she can afford to. I bet there are people who’d be willing to hep her learn to drive. All her fame and money give her are opportunities and that’s a good thing.

10. Sam February 18, 2008 at 5:20 AM #